Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fred the Large

After the last of our four legacy cats died, we were torn about signing up for another 15-20 year commitment. Cats are SO fun, but given that our last cats lived up until a very old age, we had forgotten just how fun and rambunctious younger cats can be. Given that we live in the country and thought we could use the insurance against the meeces, we dove in. Our first new cat was Fred, who we now call Fred the Large.



In addition to being extremely photogenic, Fred is a mighty hunter. As he has no front claws, I continue to be amazed by the dragons he's slewn. Toads, birds, voles, moles, and field mice had better watch out when Fred's on the move! I think the squirrels continue to press their luck - I don't want to be home when that one goes down. It's so fun to watch him bound across the backyard!

Fred is also a snuggler and he LOVES to be spooned. When he sees me getting ready for bed, he sometimes beats me to the bedroom! I often wake up with him stretched against me. Unfortunately, he's also a big fan of waking us up by making biscuits on our heads or chests at 6am to tell us it's time for breakfast. This is a practice that we are adamantly discouraging.

No comments: